This literature review examines the relationship between shoulder kinematics and the aetiology of rotator cuff pathology.
Lawrence, Rebekah L., Jonathan P. Braman, and Paula M. Ludewig. "Shoulder kinematics impact subacromial proximities: a review of the literature." Brazilian Journal of Physical Therapy 24, no. 3 (2020), 219-230. doi:10.1016/j.bjpt.2019.07.009.
KEY POINTS: SHOULDER KINEMATICS & SUBACROMIAL IMPINGEMENT
- Subacromial compression is unlikely a contributing factor to rotator cuff pathologies.
- There are limitations to 2D measurements when trying to quantify 3D relationships.
- 3D techniques are not as broadly available.
- There are extreme variations in metrics for quantifying the subacromial space.
- The most common metric is the minimum distance; it quantifies the smallest distance between two structures.
- A ‘‘painful arc’’ of motion between 700 and 1200 humerothoracic elevation...